Chamber of Commerce honors Ivens as Teacher of the Year

14 x 11 Oil Painting, Created by Mrs. Ivens

14″ x 11″ Oil Painting, Created by Mrs. Ivens

Kelen Campbell, Reporter/Photographer

On January 21, 2022, Mountain Home Chamber of Commerce awarded Mountain Home High School’s beloved Art Teacher, Beth Ivens, with the Teacher of the Year Award.

Chron.com  says thatThe National Teacher of the Year Program looks for teachers who have the respect and admiration of their students. Teachers earn this respect and admiration by serving as role models for their students and always having the best interests of their students in mind.

They gain respect by treating students fairly, setting high expectations and being consistent with discipline. A Teacher of the Year goes beyond interacting with students on an instructional level and works to make sure their physical and emotional needs are met, as well.”

As one of Mrs. Ivens’ former students, I see why she was awarded teacher of the year. Mrs. Ivens always went above and beyond to ensure that her students were using their artistic abilities to their fullest potential. I learned a lot about different mediums that I had never used before and discovered new mediums that I didn’t know existed.

Mrs. Ivens was interviewed about her accomplishment, and about some of the interesting things she has done with her art classes. 

When asked about her favorite memories of her time as an art teacher, “Art club trips to Crystal Bridges,” she said.  She also reflected on her students’ accomplishments this year.

“Students who have expressed confidence in a new medium or subject matter. Especially Art 2 students drawing with charcoal and Art 3 drawing self-portraits.”

When giving advice to other teachers who may hope to win this award, Mrs. Ivens was quick to acknowledge the team effort that led to her honor.

“This was for our community connection with the Food Bank of North Central Arkansas. It’s a group effort, so in reality, the whole team was crucial to our success. It really isn’t about me.”

“Every teacher and student who has participated, from planning Empty Bowls, making the meals, helping with the marketing, making clay bowls, and every student who has helped sell tickets in these past eight years. And of course, our administration who support us, custodians who clean up after us, and last but not least the community who supports us through their many donations.”