MHHS and NCA Food Bank Gear Up for 8th Annual Empty Bowls Soup Dinner

Brianna Ifland

Brianna Ifland, Reporter/Editor

Story courtesy of North Central Arkansas Food Bank’s Jan. 31 Media Release, audio courtesy of Twin Lakes Radio

Mountain Home High School students and faculty are gearing up for their 8th annual Empty Bowls to Feed the Hungry Soup Dinner to be held Thursday, February 10, from 4 pm until 6 pm at the Mtn. Home High School cafeteria.

This year’s event will feature soups and desserts as well as hand-crafted ceramic bowls all made by students. Ceramic Bowls are limited to the first 150 people who attend the event. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased from a high school student, at MHHS or at the Food Bank of North Central Arkansas. Tickets will also be available at the door.

This year’s event includes a silent auction with items from various local artists as well as four vacations including a Sedona Spa Get Away, an Alaskan Cruise, four days in Key West, and a six-day trip to Hilton Head & Savannah. 

Combined, Baxter and Marion counties have an estimated 10,575 people who are food insecure, a number that has risen by almost 800 people during the COVID pandemic. In Marion County, food insecurity rates among children have increased by 2.6% since the beginning of the pandemic, while Baxter County’s childhood hunger numbers have increased 1.8%.

Food Bank of North Central Arkansas CEO, Jeff Quick expressed his appreciation for their partnership with the Mtn. Home School District; “We’re thrilled to partner again this year with the students and faculty of MHHS. To date, Empty Bowls has provided over a quarter of a million meals to the Food Bank and our network of hunger relief organizations. The work these students are doing is literally the difference between one of our neighbors being able to have a meal tonight or not. Our students are setting an outstanding example in our community and making a big difference at the same time.”

For more information please contact the Food Bank of North Central Arkansas at 870-499-7565.