This week in Bomber Sports

Staff

Sports news courtesy of KTLO.

Volleyball

In high school volleyball Tuesday night, Mountain Home took the defending Class 5A state champs to the wire before falling at home 3-2. Greenwood won the match by scores of 25-22, 16-25, 25-20, 21-25 and 15-12. The Lady Bombers fall to 9-3 overall and 3-2 in the 5A West.

Carson Schmitz had a big night for Mountain Home, finishing with 19 kills, 19 digs and 10 assists. Kendall Carter had seven kills, 12 digs and nine blocks; Lindsay Jensen had eight kills, 12 digs and 25 assists; Katelyn Hill finished with nine kills; Georgia Burnham collected eight kills and six digs; Riley Schmitz had 32 digs; Cate Jackson finished with 12 digs; and Tatum Smith had six blocks.

In the J.V. match, Mountain Home topped Greenwood 25-12 and 25-22.

Emma Crabb finished with nine digs, three aces and 15 assists; Lauren Wehmeyer had six kills; Emma Wilber had five blocks; and Lily Hinson collected 16 digs.

Football

The Mountain Home High School football wrapped up non-conference play Friday night at Batesville with their best performance of the season. Brad Haworth has the details.

Friday night’s game was the epitome of domination. Mountain Home earned their first win of the season with a 35-7 decision over the Pioneers in a game where Mountain Home controlled all facets of the contest. A lot of stats stand out, but the fact there was not a snap on the Mountain Home side of the 50 yard in the entire second quarter tells the story.

After struggling with field position in their loss to Nettleton last week, Mountain Home started five drives in Batesville territory while the Pioneers started six drives from inside their own 20.

It didn’t take the Bombers long to take control of the game, scoring just four plays and 57 seconds into the contest. Gage Lindsey capped the drive with a 22 yard scoring run.

On their third possession, Lindsey capped a nine-play 80 yard drive with a four yard run.

Mountain Home would make it 21-0 just before halftime when Cade Yates hooked up with Brody Patterson on a 44 yard touchdown pass.

In the third quarter, Masen Walker scored his first touchdown of the season on a three-yard run.

Brady Barnett capped a huge night with a touchdown run late in the game.

Barnett would led the Bombers’ onslaught with 182 rushing yards on just 17 carries. Walker racked up 95 yards on nine carries, Patterson had 90 receiving yards and Lindsey finished with 73 yards on the ground.

Mountain Home’s offense amassed 466 yards on the night.

But the defense, led by the front four, kept the Pioneers frustrated all night. Batesville had only 18 yards and one first down in the first half, and finished with just 104 yards total. The pressure from the defensive line kept Batesville quarterback Jay Storlie off stride all night.

With the win, Mountain Home improves to 1-2 on the season while the Pioneers fall to 0-3. Mountain Home begins 5A West Conference play at home next Friday against Lake Hamilton.

Golf

High school golf makes up much of the local Wednesday schedule as Mountain Home will be among the area schools in postseason play. The Bombers and Lady Bombers will be in Cabot to compete in the 5A-West Conference Tournament. Tee time is scheduled for 9 a.m. at Cypress Creek Country Club.

Tennis

After being postponed on Tuesday, the Mountain Home High School tennis teams’ outing with Siloam Springs will be held on Wednesday. Action begins at 4 p.m. at the Mountain Home Athletic Club on Coley Drive.