A Fresh Perspective

Ethan Campbell

Year after year, hundreds of students start their summers with expectations and questions for their next school year at MHHS: Which teacher(s) will I get? Which classes will my friends and I have? How can I make the most out of the upcoming year? What will I learn? A lot of these new students are from MHJHS and know people from the High School, but some of these new students have never been to Mountain Home before. Whatever the case, most of us at MHHS have forgotten our transitions here. The best way we have to reimagine is by hearing from others. 

Kiara Mayet, 17, is a French exchange student new here at MHHS.

“I’m in 12th grade here, but I already graduated where I’m from ” says Mayet.

She intended to come to the U.S. mainly to immerse herself in the culture and language and after a lot of paperwork, packing, and planning it finally became her reality. 

“It’s still a strange thing,” says Mayet, “because even though I know I’m  here it doesn’t feel like I am.” Still, the adaptation from Clichy, a commune in the northwestern suburbs of Paris with a population of roughly 60,000 people, to here was difficult in some ways and easier in others.

“I thought it was going to be harder to talk to people because of my English,” says Mayet, “and I think I underestimated myself and thought that they would be [unresponsive] to me.” And she’s not the only one. 

According to hostelworldgroup.com, “More than 60% of UK adults wish they were better at languages – mainly to get more deeply emerged in other cultures (38%), visit a particular country (35%) or meet new people (24%) ” but that “Perceived language barriers stop five million UK adults from traveling the world.” But for what it’s worth she does enjoy the small-town feel. 

“It’s like when you walk on the street you always see someone you know. I like that.” 

On the other hand, there were also some surprises that she found less enjoyable. There is a comparable difference between Mountain Home and Clichy. In Clichy, there are various forms of transportation. 

“There is [not much] public transportation here. Where I am from there are buses, subways, tramways, bikes, and segways. And the roads are much bigger here. [Also] everything is close by but nobody is walking.” 

There are only 3 service companies that have stations in Mountain Home and surrounding areas, all of which are bus transit businesses. In Clichy, there are dozens of ways to get from one end of the city to the other or even further if need be.

Another challenge new students contend with is learning the layout of the high school. Laura Bockstahler, 16, is a sophomore new to MHHS this year. 

“The high school,” says Bockstahler, “has numbered hallways that you have to remember and the Junior High doesn’t really.”

It can be difficult at times to stop and think of what people around you are thinking and feeling. Sometimes things appear different when you see them through someone else’s eyes.