Bevel Signs to Colorado Mesa University

Joia Traver, Co-Editor

Senior Victoria Bevel officially signed with Colorado Mesa University on Friday, April 15th. She will continue her wrestling career there in Grand Junction, Colorado, and plans to major in outdoor recreation industry studies

“I’m excited for all the hiking and just getting to wrestle with the best girls in the country,” Victoria says.

Bevel chuckles as her father makes jokes during his speech.

Many students gathered in the gym that afternoon to watch Victoria and her coaches speak to her team and friends. Her father, Mr. Bevel sat beside her and said a few words as well. Victoria has wrestled for the HS Wrestling team when they won both State Runner up and State Championships. 

“I’m excited about her attending Colorado Mesa. We took off on a wild trip to visit schools and we got to Grand Junction and looked up into the mountains to drive around. We ended up at Colorado National Monument and we went hiking and climbing. The second day we went for a run down the mountain and we stopped to look over the city and saw the school. After that I knew, I just said darn it, there’s no doubt this is where she’s going to be,” Victoria’s father, Bobby Bevel explains. 

Along with competing on the wrestling team, Bevel has also been involved in multiple other sports, such as soccer and track. She is currently throwing on the MHHS Varsity Track team in discus and shot put. 

“She wants to challenge herself and be with the best,” Mr. Bevel explains.

Victoria has done multiple productions with the MHHS Theatre Program and is involved with Troupe 6560. In the fall of 2019, she played one of the main roles in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe as Jadis,

The MHHS Girls Wrestling team smiles next to Bevel.

the Ice Queen/Witch. Later in that school year, she participated in the 2020 spring musical, Little Women, as Rodrigo 2. When the MHHS Theatre Program did the three-part production of Vintage Hitchcock, Bevel was in charge of the sound effects for the entire play. Finally, in her last theatre musical, Bevel played many parts in Thoroughly Modern Millie, including Ms. Flannery, one of Muzzy’s boys, a modern, and ensemble. 

“It’s the leadership you’ve shown not only on the mat but off the mat,” Coach Scooter says, “I remember one time the focus wasn’t there with the team and you asked if you could have a moment with the team and when you came back everyone was so upbeat and I know that was because of you”.

Demonstrating her leadership skills out of wrestling, Bevel is the treasurer for Troupe 6560. In college, she hopes to join FCA and other clubs. Just as Bevel visited this college herself, she highly recommends going to the campus and making sure that you feel at home and safe on campus.

“You’re an awesome wrestler but even better kid,” Coach Martin beams, “your impact on our program is immeasurable and you’re irreplaceable”.