Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Mattie Boelkens, Reporter/Photographer

Every month has its own awareness or nationality and this month is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. On average, state-by-state comparative analysis shows that there are about 325,566 victims of rape and sexual assault, the age range being from 12 and up, in the US every year.

People who are at the highest risk of sexual assault would have an age range of 12-34. If you’re 65 and older you would be 92% less likely than those who are 12-24 years old and 83% less likely to be assaulted than 25-49-year-olds. 

As of 1998, approximately 17.7 million American women had been victims of attempted or succeeded rape or completed rape. Younger women are more likely to be a victim of such actions. 82% of all juvenile victims are female and 90% of adult rape victims are female. Women from the ages of 16-19 are four times more likely than the overall population to be victims of rape, attempted rapes, or sexual assaults. Females from the ages of 18-24, who are college students are three times more likely to be a victim than women as a whole to experience that specific type of violence. Women of the same age who aren’t enrolled in college would be four times more likely.

Since 1998, roughly 2.78 million men in the U.S. have been victims of attempted or completed rape. About 3% of American men, or 1 out 33, have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. 1 out of every 10 rape victims are male. While today’s society is more aware of women’s sexual assault, men get sexually assaulted every day as well. Men typically would be a victim before their 18th birthday. The number rises to 1 in 4 men who experience sexual assault.

As for the TGQN (transgender, genderqueer, and nonconforming) community, 21% of college students have experienced sexual assault, compared to 18% of non-TGQN females, and 4% of non-TGQN males. Most transgender people have high levels of sexual abuse and assault. One out of two transgender individuals is sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives. Some reports estimate that transgender survivors may experience rates of sexual assault up to 66%, often coupled with physical abuse or assaults.

The long-term effects on the victims would be a high chance of the person suffering suicidal or depressive thoughts. 94% of women that are victims of rape experience symptoms of PTSD within the two weeks after the assault. 30% of women report the symptoms of PTSD nine months after the rape. 33% of women who are raped have or still are contemplating suicide as a way out. 13% of women who are victims have attempted suicide. Roughly 70% of rape or sexual assault victims experience moderate to severe distress, a larger percentage than for any other violent crime.