BVA Perspectives at Pinkston

Olivia Martin, Reporter/Photographer

Since the opening up of schools, Mountain Home students have had the choice between being BVA or seated classes. Going BVA has its pros and cons, as well as being in class. Take, for example, being able to wake up later and being able to work independently. On the other hand, being in-class, students get more one-on-one help with their work and a more personal connection with their teachers and classmates. 

Each student is handling the virus in different ways, some coming to school, others staying home. Mya Corbin, a current sixth grader, explains how she is handling virtual schooling.

“I used to attend my classes all the time, but things got harder and I started to attend my class more because I started to miss days. It did affect me and my grades a lot.”

However, it’s more than academics. “It kinda made me have anxiety about other things that might happen,” Corbin says, “and it made me very anti-social. But as for my grades, being a kid that just came out of 5th grade and only on a 5th-grade level, it was kinda hard and stressful. It made my grades go down but I’m trying to get back upland, getting there slowly.” 

While another Pinkston Middle School student, Giselle SalasFlores, states “I am in school. What made me decide to come to school was my grade. Coming to school has affected my grades and learning ability.” 

Mya comments on how she plans to come back to in-person classes, “I’m virtual right now but I’m going back to school. When I was at the school it was good, my grades were good, I was with my friends and I was kinda happy. The thing that made me not want to go was the school. 

“I don’t really like it, and some people are mean or weird. And the rules were just getting to me so I chose to go home; but, I’m going back very soon. At school, my grades were good because I actually had friends and teachers to talk to and they helped me in person.”

While teachers come to school to teach their in-person students and get onto Google Meets and Zoom calls to teach their virtual students some teachers have had to adapt their lesson plans to fit better with virtual learning. 

Mrs. Basinger, a 7th-grade science teacher, explains how she adapted her science lessons. “Things have to be broken down into a lot simpler terms because I cannot just ‘show’ them the science concept through science labs or investigations.”

Mrs. Basinger also describes how her virtual classes look from day-to-day. “I have had between 62-30 virtual students. They shift on the regular. Students receive work on Monday and it is due on Sunday. There are asynchronous and synchronous lessons depending on what is being taught.”