To Vaccine or Not to Vaccine?

Jasmine Conner, Reporter/Photographer

The coronavirus has been a major tragedy during the year 2020 and now the starting of 2021. Our lives have been flipped upside down and our plans have been set back. Many people have lost loved ones and even businesses. The need for the world to go back to “normal” is higher than it’s ever been. Medical professionals have had the ability to push out a two-part coronavirus vaccine, in just a year. This shocks individuals due to the lack of knowledge on the virus and the fact that vaccines usually take a good period of time to develop. Many people view the coronavirus vaccine differently, some people are amazed by it, and others are not about it at all. So now that this vaccine is available to the public the new question on the rise is “are you going to be vaccinated?”

What makes the coronavirus vaccine different from other vaccines is that it is an mRNA vaccine. Which is a new technology that hasn’t been widely used before. An individual’s DNA is stored in a cell nucleus, then it is later transcribed into mRNA which is a building block of proteins. What viruses essentially do is they insert their own information into you, then your cells take that and build proteins off the virus’s information, making more viruses. The mRNA in the vaccine encodes a small part of the virus into your genetics. Which moves into your cytoplasm and your ribosomes then creates the small spiked protein. This then travels to your cell membrane, and in the end, it gives your body a heads up to build immunity towards the virus. 

Throughout the history of medicine, a vaccine has never been developed in just a year. This breakthrough amazes individuals and brings society a step closer to going back to “normal”. The coronavirus has beat down this world. Economies and businesses have faced many obstacles. People’s lives have been strongly impacted. The virus spreads rapidly and anyone who has it is mandated to quarantine for two weeks. Hospitals flood, patients are out the roof. Patients including medical professionals. This is a major problem, without enough medical staff some patients may go untreated or overlooked. The need for cases to regulate has caused the development of the vaccine to be pushed more and more. The virus has an awful effect on the elderly or individuals with other health problems. People with family members that fall into these categories have to take extra precautions not to pass the virus on to them. 

“I would like to get the vaccine because I would feel better about going in public knowing that I have received the vaccine and I can’t spread the virus around.””

— Levi Priborski

Mountain Home High school senior Levi Proborski stated. 

Although In May of 2020 polls conducted that 1 in 4 Americans will refuse to take a coronavirus vaccine. Why wouldn’t these individuals want the vaccine? Well, there is such little knowledge on the coronavirus itself, and the vaccine has very little research as well. Questions like “What’s in this vaccine”, “How will I react” “Are they essentially putting a bit of the coronavirus in me so I will gain immunity”, “What are the side effects”, and “Will this vaccine work for all strains of the virus?”  All relevant questions need to be addressed. 

“I personally feel as though the vaccine is currently in trial stages as it’s only 79% effective. And that we as the test dummies, for whatever may mutate or go wrong, will have to immediately suffer more consequences more than we have already. People should be more cautious and less frivolous about letting the government inject them with whatever vaccine or virus as they have been.” Aaron Holmes, a citizen of Mountain Home Arkansas said. 

The coronavirus vaccination has many pros and cons. The need for things to go back to normal and to just overall be safe have been at their high. But people also question the vaccine and what effects it will have on people, will it essentially make things worse? There is an amazement of timing with this vaccine, but there is also scares with the timing. Leaving you to the question “Will I be receiving the coronavirus vaccine?”