Swim Team Wins Batesville Meet

Joia Traver, Co-Editor

The Mountain Home Swim Team kicked off their season with the first meet in Batesville on Tuesday, Nov. 10th. With an unsure look at what the rest of the season would be like, they were determined to make the most of this short meet. Many swimmers, including Madelyn Lynch, Gaige Chaney, Noah Daugherty, Asa Norwick, Brandon Belicek, Aidan Wilson, Joia Traver, Micah Cruise, and Sierra Trogdon all finished with times that qualified them for State.

Starting off the meet with the Girls 200 Medley Relay, with Olivia Wham, Joia Traver, Madelyn Lynch, and Maggie Thompson with a time of 2:08.21 and placing first. Turning right back around after the Boys Relay, Lynch won the 200 Free by 21 seconds, qualifying for State. Mountain Home swimmers Marlee Brashear and Ally Williams went third and fourth. Sophomore Sierra Trogdon won the 200 IM with a State time and Reagan Brawner came in third place behind her. Wham and Thompson went 1 and 2 in the 50 Free, scooping up those points for the Women’s Team. In the 100 Butterfly, there was a lot of competition with only two swimmers in the event. Traver took the win by nine seconds and qualified for State. Megan Yarborough and Brashear went 1 and 2 in the 100 Free. In the 500 Free, Mountain Home Swimmers dominated the field with Trogdon taking first, Thompson second, and Williams third. Traver, Brasear, Brawner, and Yarborough placed first in the 200 Free Relay. In the 100  Backstroke Lynch and Wham went 1 and 2, Lynch getting the State time cut. Winning first through third, Traver, Yarborough, and Brawner earned a lot of points for the girls’ team. Finally, Lynch, Thompson, Wham, and Trogdon earned the last couple of points to put the MHHS Girls Team 103 points ahead of Batesville.

Aidan Wilson, Asa Norwick, Noah Daugherty, and Micah Cruise kicked off the Boys’ team with a State time of 1:57.19. Gaige Chaney competed in the 200 Free and got second place and qualified for State, and Josh Boelkins came in right after him. Daugherty got right back into the pool and swam a 2:17.39 for his 200 IM, qualifying for state and dropping four seconds. Norwick swam alongside him dropping three seconds. Brandon Belicek and Aidan Wilson went 2 and 3 in the 50 Free, Belicek out-touching Wilson by .02 seconds. Micah Cruise swam the 100 Butterfly, dropping two seconds and placing third. Chaney swam the 100 Free for the first time and got a 58.43, which put him in second place and a qualification for State. Wilson and Belicek faced off again in the 500 Free, Wilson getting a State time of 5:51.16, and Belicek getting a 6:26.07. Josh Boelkins, Asa Norwick, Hayden Kelley, and Walker Daniels won the 200 Free Relay, cutting a second off their entry time. In the 100 Backstroke, Daugherty and Cruise went 2 and 3, both qualifying for State in that event. Junior Asa Norwick placed first in the 100 Breaststroke, cutting a whole .01 of a second. Ending the meet, Daugherty, Belicek, Cruise, and Wilson placed second in the 400 Free Relay. Overall, the MHHS Boys Team won the meet with 599 points. 

The MHHS Swim Team will compete this Saturday in Russellville for their second meet of the season.