Bomber Fall Sports Rundown

Isaac Archey and Kassie Kratochvil

Fall sports are in full swing at MHHS and this week we are giving you are rundown of our teams.

Volleyball

The Mountain Home High School volleyball team suffered its first conference loss of the season Tuesday night at Greenwood, falling 3-0. The Lady Bulldogs won by scores of 25-18, 25-13, and 25-19. For Mountain Home, Kendall Carter had eight kills, Riley Schmitz finished with 12 digs, Kiah Beard collected 22 assists, Reanna Dodge had six kills, and Georgia Burnham had five kills. The Lady Bombers fall to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in the 5A West Conference. Greenwood also won the JV match by scores of 25-13 and 25-9.

It turned out to be a good weekend for the Mountain Home High School volleyball team, as the Lady Bombers picked up a conference win on the road. The Lady Bombers defeated Vilonia in straight sets with scores of 25-19, 25-9, and 25-20.

Reanna Dodge led Mountain Home with 11 kills and 10 blocks. Kendall Carter had eight kills and 11 digs, and she was 17 for 19 on her serves. In addition, Riley Schmitz recorded 21 digs, Kiah Beard dished out 28 assists, and Kylee Sabella added seven kills and 10 digs.

The Lady Bombers improve to 8-3 on the season and 4-2 in the 5A-West as they travel to Greenbrier tonight to continue play.

Football

The football team took on 16th ranked Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs on Friday, September 25th. After seeing Mountain Home rebound from an early 14-0 deficit to tie the game, Lake Hamilton’s defense stepped up in the second half to lead the Wolves to a 28-14 victory. This was the first Conference game for the Bombers who are now 0-1 in conference and 2-2 overall.  The Bombers will take on Greenwood at home this Friday night at 7 pm.  There will be a ceremony honoring our Veterans before the game.

Varsity Football game vouchers will be available for HS Football, Cheer and Dance PARENTS to pick up on Monday and Tuesday of next week (September 28 & 29) in the HS Gym Athletic Office between 8:00am – 4:00pm. Vouchers will be available to the PUBLIC on Wednesday and Thursday of next week (September 30 & October 1) in the HS Gym Athletic Office between 8:00am – 4:00pm. Everyone needs to pick up a voucher except for AAA pass holders and Athlete passes.

The Player of the Game for week 4 against Lake Hamilton is Sr. Brock Bogy. Brock had 16 tackles, 11 solo tackles (4 for a loss), 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 forced fumble.

Cross Country

The Mountain Home High School cross country teams were in Memphis Saturday for the Frank Horton Invitational. Both teams shone, as they competed against other high schools and cross country clubs at Shelby Farms Park.

The Bombers finished as runners-up on the boys’ side, with the Bartlett Cross Country Club taking the win. Whit Lawrence led Mountain Home with a fourth-place finish, and Andrew Westphal ended up 10th. Hendrix Hughes became the first Bomber in school history to break the 17-minute barrier as a freshman. Hughes, Tyler Firment, and Bryson Hodges all ran personal bests.

Mountain Home’s girls came away in fifth place in the team standings. Marcie Cudworth, Jordan Ritenburg, Emily Payne, Whitney Wilber, and Leah Hunt all had personal bests for the Lady Bombers.

Despite holding back their top eight boys and top 6 girls who will compete in a race in Memphis Saturday, the Mountain Home High School cross country teams still managed to win the Bomber Invite #1 Thursday afternoon on their home course.

The Bombers placed four runners in the top 10 to easily defeat second-place Greers Ferry Westside. Aidan Sanders was third, Darren Blount finished fourth, Alex Hester was eighth, and Riley Rowden finished ninth.

Golf

The Mountain Home High School girls’ golf team wrapped up the season Monday by hosting the Class 5A State Tournament at Big Creek Golf and Country Club. The Lady Bombers finished fourth in the team standings with a total of 292. El Dorado won the title at 258, Greenwood was second at 281, and Jonesboro took third place at 288.

Caroline Hughes of Jonesboro was the individual medalist. Hughes ended up beating Madison Holmes of Paragould in a playoff after both golfers shot a 77. Mountain Home was led by Reagan Webb and Lauren Loving after they tied for 14th with a 97. Ella Brashears was 16th with a 98, and Hailey Czeschin ended up 17th with a 99.

The postseason began last Tuesday for the Mountain Home High School golf teams, and the start could not have been better for the Lady Bombers. Mountain Home won the girls’ championship at the 5A-West Conference Tournament, and the Bombers took third place on the boys’ side at Cypress Creek Golf Club in Cabot. Lauren Loving ended up leading Mountain Home’s girls as an All-Conference team member after shooting an 84. Also for the Lady Bombers, Reagan Webb finished with an 88.
Tennis

The Mountain Home High School tennis teams opened play in the 5A West Conference Tournament Monday with all four of the doubles teams advancing to the second day, and every singles player won their first match before being eliminated. The tournament is being played at Russellville High School and the University of the Ozarks in Clarksville.

On the girls’ side, the teams of Sarah Godfrey and Macie Heide, along with Micaela McLean and Cambelle Lance each won their first two matches.

In singles action, Josie Arp and Kenzie Hatman each won their first match before losing in the quarterfinals.

In boys’ action, the teams of Jake McGehee and Clayton Jones, along with Dodge Harris and Jacob Czanstkowski each won their first two matches.

In singles play, Armin Mortazi and Corey Palella each won their first match but fell in the quarterfinals.

Photos and stories courtesy of ktlo.com