Girls Wrestling, What’s the Worst that Could Happen?

Kassie Kratochvil, Reporter

Last year marked an important milestone in Bomber Sports, the beginning of the girls wrestling program. In their first year, the team proved to be a force to be reckoned with as they finished the year as state runners-up. What motivated a group of girls to not only start a new sport on our campus but excel at it? 

For me, wrestling came down to the simple 

question- what’s the worst that could happen? The best results that I’ve had in life are the most enjoyable times that have started with that question. It was my freshman year, and all of my friends joined. A couple of days later, they were continuously talking about how excellent the coaches were and how much fun it was, and they were part of something that lit up their days. That’s when I asked myself, “What’s the worst that could happen?” I gained a family with my teammates and my opponents. I know that anytime I need something, I will always have someone there.

When you step out onto the mat and get ready to shake your opponent’s hand, it is the best feeling ever. It gives you the power, the time to show people that you can do anything you put your mind to.

Former wrestler Trinity Willett stated,  “I liked seeing my results become more efficient on the mat after so many long, tiring practices. Getting to watch everyone grow as a person and as a wrestler was outstanding. I honestly can say there’s not one thing I disliked about wrestling.”

Wrestling is one of the most challenging sports. Just the fact that you have to step out on the mat by yourself. You are the center of attention; you are showing them that you have what it takes.

Current wrestler, Amelia Frounfelter, said: “If I hadn’t joined wrestling, I would not be where I am today, 30 pounds lighter, more assertive, and way more confident wrestling has changed my life!!” 

If you want something extraordinary, you need to join wrestling, it will be difficult, but it will be great. I highly encourage everyone to join wrestling. Girls that are interested in wrestling, email coach martin at [email protected], and he will guide you!!