New Faces at MHHS

Mattie Boelkens, Reporter/Photographer

The start of the school year can be defined in one word- change. Changes in learning and teaching techniques, sanitation: masks and teachers. MHHS welcomed the following teachers: Mrs. Quick, Mrs. Boelkens. Coach Curtis, Coach Mallett, Coach Acklin, Shrable, Coach Daves, Meurer, Mrs. Baker, and Mrs. Chagnon.

We sat down with three “new” MHHS teachers to learn more about how they got here. Mrs. Quick graduated from the University of Central Arkansas a long time ago. Her inspiration comes from the kindness and motivation she received from her teachers many years ago. Her expectations are for our Bombers to persevere through all the changes and make it a wonderful, successful year. Our students have a lot of people that care about their well-being and have done many things to make sure they receive a good education. She chose MHHS because it was an opportunity that she could not pass up. She teaches sophomore English, she co-sponsors Student Council, and if you ever wanted to talk to her about something that wasn’t during class her planning periods are 1st block every day her room number is 211. 

Mrs. Boelkens’ expects that she loves order and routine in and out of the classroom. Everything is easier when people know what to expect. This year has made her embrace the unknown. It seems like things change daily and that has to be ok. We’ll just do the best we can and that’s got to be enough. She graduated from two areas, Missouri Southern in 2001 for her bachelor’s degree she then continued to do more schooling and graduated from the University of Arkansas in 2020 for her master’s degree. Her inspiration comes from her class students when they get very engaged and excited about the topics she goes over in class and when they understand her sarcasm. She expects that she loves order and routine in and out of the classroom. Everything is easier when people know what to expect. This year has made her embrace the unknown. It seems like things change daily and that has to be ok. We’ll just do the best we can and that’s got to be enough. She chose MHHS because she graduated from MHHS and she wanted her kids to attend Mountain Home because of the opportunities they would have as far as classes and extracurriculars. She can’t imagine being anything other than a Bomber. She teaches sophomore, junior, and senior English, she doesn’t sponsor anything, and if you ever want to talk to her, her planning periods are Monday Wednesday on 4th block and Tuesday Thursday is 2nd block her room number is 401.

Coach Curtis graduated from Arkansas State in 2020. Coach Curtis’ inspiration comes from having a lot of fun and learning a lot about biology and math. His favorite subject is biology so he’s hoping to do some demonstrations and stuff like that with them that he can’t wait for. He expectations for this year were that he was a little nervous being a first-year teacher with everything going on I was a little nervous about what it was going to look like what I would have to do differently than what I did during my internship but everything because of our leadership has gone smoothly and I give all honor and respect to our leadership because without them we wouldn’t be here so it’s because of them and the hard work that they put in preparing us for this that allowed us to be here, amazingly, we get to be here this year with everything else going on. He teaches math and biology, he doesn’t sponsor anything, and if you want to talk to him, his planning periods are Monday Wednesday on 2nd block and Tuesday Thursday is 1st block and if you can’t talk to him then he is mostly in his room during lunch.