Temporary Pain, Permanent Change

Makayla Kellem, Reporter/Photographer

Times are changing, but what does this mean for the future? In March of 2020, the United States went into a panic when COVID-19 hit. Businesses began to place safety regulations like new cleaning procedures, limiting how many customers enter a building, and even requiring masks. While these changes might be frustrating to the average consumer, countless schools, businesses, and hospitals have considered the current events as a way to test ideas. Currently, Mountain Home High School is looking at ways to continue to stay safe, even in a future without COVID-19. 

When asked about the biggest changes this year, Mountain Home High School Principal Brent Bogy stated, ”I would say the social distancing and how to go about lunch, and how we are in the hallways.” 

Bogy continues to discuss the mask requirements in the school and how they should continue to be followed, along with the other numerous mandates while they are held. 

Bomber Virtual Academy has been a large addition to MHHS and how classes operate. Due to the success coming from this change, BVA will continue as an option for students in the 2021-2022 school year. The capability peers now have to access classes through Google Meets or Zoom calls is something that many have learned to value. 

Although everyone is ready for COVID-19 to be a distant memory, what will be done to prevent a possible future outbreak similar to what’s being seen today?

Principal Brent Bogy specified, “Mainly just daily cleaning and being consistent. Practicing good health habits from our student’s end and our teacher’s end. Also providing cleaning supplies for teachers.” 

Along with staying clean and healthy, it’s important to be aware of surroundings, and how small actions could have large consequences during this adversity. Learning from mistakes and building a brighter future for students is the goal, and it takes every person working hard to accomplish this.