What’s it Like On the Other Side (Of the Screen)?

Joia Traver, Reporter/Photographer

Due to the infamous Covid-19, students at MHHSCA have been given the option to go completely virtual, come to school, or be in a mixture of both. As most students got a taste of online school previously during the initial spring outbreak, it was up to them to return this fall semester. Teachers and school administrators had to frantically alter their standard policies in order to fit CoronaVirus guidelines. This led to modifications all across the board, and students as well as teachers have to adjust to continue the school year. 

“I feel like the changes aren’t as difficult as people make it out to be,” says junior Nathan Stone when sharing his thoughts about COVID-19 guidelines,

“Personally I respect the rules so that things can get better instead of worse.””

— Nathan Stone

As most students that are going to school know, the ‘normal’ class looks much different now with social distancing and masks almost always on. Lunch can be eaten in many different places, and picnic tables have been added to accommodate this. Even though people are more spaced out now, there is still a sense of emptiness as the virtual students aren’t roaming the halls anymore. 

“I miss all my friends at lunch, clubs, and seeing them in the hallways,” Madelyn Lynch says when asked what she misses about going to school, “But it’s the best thing for my family right now and it is also getting me prepared for some of the college classes I’m already taking online.”

As Lynch explained, BVA students are still essentially students, but they are also missing out on a lot of activities that we identify as school-related. Though regular students are already socially distancing themselves, there is still some socialization that goes on in the halls and online students don’t get to experience that at all. However, as Lynch said, this is an important time to prioritize the safety and healthiness of the people. 

“It’s different from the spring semester when we were just finishing up all the things we had to learn,” Lynch continues, “Now it’s really important to stay on track and work hard so you don’t fall behind.”

When the Coronavirus hit during the spring, everyone got to dip their toes in what true online schooling is like, but that was only for a short period of time as well as at the end of the school year. Now, BVA students are having to jump into new classes and start their year again, and from what Lynch says it’s not even on the same scale as last year. Classes are tough, and with not even seeing the teacher in person it makes it so much harder. 

“I feel bad for the students that have to do everything online,” Sierra Trogdon says, “My sister is doing everything virtually and I don’t think I would be able to do that myself.”

It’s important to get the perspectives of different students and their learning styles, just as it is important to get all the sides of anything. This is particularly a beneficial side to observe as we can make notes and preparations just in case the school gets shut down and regular students have to go virtual as well.