Bomber Theatre plans for upcoming fall production: Vintage Hitchcock

Brianna Ifland, Reporter/Photographer

Cast member Victoria Bevel works on foley– aka live sound effects

Mountain Home High School’s very own Bomber Theatre will be presenting Vintage Hitchcock: a Live Radio Play by Tom Landry. Performances will be at Dunbar Auditorium on October 3rd at 7:00 pm and October 4th at 2:00 pm. Tickets will be $7 for adults and $5 for students; however, there will be a 49 person capacity per show. Tickets must be pre-ordered through mhhsbombertheatre.ludus.com and further questions can be directed to (870)-405-3220.

Bria Digiandomenico and Dallin Stephens stand on stage during the first act: The Lodger

Vintage Hitchcock consists of three acts: The Lodger, Sabotage, and The 39 Steps. Playscripts, Inc. describes the play as “…a triple feature, complete with vintage commercials, that recreates a daring train chase, a serial killer’s ominous presence, and a devastating explosion through the magic of live sound effects and musical underscore.”

Although the show’s style may remind the retirement population of their childhood, those in high-risk groups are discouraged from attending. There will be a live stream/recording available to the public for free. More information will be announced on Troupe 6560’s Facebook page. 

“I would say definitely try to stream it, definitely try to watch it, just to show your support for something in these hard times. And if we do make a stream, ya know, just have as many people as we can watch it. It would be a better opportunity for people who don’t always have transportation,” says senior Ray Robertson. 

The ongoing pandemic has forced Bomber Theatre to think outside the box in terms of show selection. Despite live theatre being an inherently interactive art form, the production’s style– emulating that of a 1940s radio show recording booth– allows for straightforward staging and has actors properly spaced out the majority of the time.

Cast members Trevi Sheaner, Joia Traver, Audrey Young, Carlie Corales, and Zach Barr gather stage left with masks on.

“Well, the distancing thing is really a problem,” says Troupe President Suzanna Pickers, “…because we need to stay away from each other…  People can maybe see us a bit better [due to the staging], but it’s also a bit of a struggle with the masks cause people might not be able to hear us as well.”

Well, the distancing thing is really a problem… because we need to stay away from each other…  People can maybe see us a bit better [due to the staging], but it’s also a bit of a struggle with the masks cause people might not be able to hear us as well.” ”

— Suzanna Pickers

However, the cast and crew are still hopeful for live performances, busy at work with rehearsals and the beginnings of costuming. 

Cast member Aidan Wilson says “…They’re not connected, [and are] written by Alfred Hitchcock, hence the name… Each has its own little arc and story. They’re all murder mysteries… [but] since they’re so short, I don’t want to spoil anything in it. You’ll have to just see it for yourself.” 

The show’s poster can be found here.