Mountain Home Swim Team Takes Conference Title

Joia Traver, Editor

Lady Bomber Swim Team Accepts Conference Champ Title

The MHHS Swim teams enjoyed a successful season that paved the way for them to compete at the 5A State Meet on the 29th of February. Clenching the district championship was a sweet victory for the team.

“I really enjoyed my first High School Conference meet, and even though I swim on a summer league, it was a really neat experience for me, ” says Sierra Trogdon, a Freshman on the Lady Bomber swim team.

Starting out with the 200 Medley Relay, Olivia Wham, Joia Traver, Maddie Lynch, and Sierra Trogdon took first to Jonesboro and Green County Tech, shaving off .2 seconds total. Lynch and Bella Bevel took 1-2 in the 200 Freestyle, Bevel taking a whole ten seconds off of her entry time. Julia Nguyen, a foreign exchange student from Germany, leveled out at 7th place in her 200 Free, cutting almost a second. Out of the top five finalists in the 200 Individual Medley, four Lady Bombers placed their way on the podium with Traver first, Megan Yarborough third, and Bell and Gasper following. Trogdon and Carson Cotter took 2-3 in the 50 Freestyle, with Charlotte Watson placing sixth and Maggie Thompson eighth. In the 100 Butterfly, Mountain Home took third, fourth, and fifth with foreign exchange students Nina Thomas, Lucia Gaspar, and Lindsey Gardner. Traver took first again in the 100 free with a 59.31, with Bevel at a close second by .5 seconds, both finally breaking a minute for the first time this season. Olivia Wham placed fourth, taking off three whole seconds, and Olivia Norris followed closely at sixth. Switching gears to the distance events, Carson Cotter placed third in the 500 Freestyle. Mountain Home Lady Bombers took second in the 200 Freestyle Relay by just four seconds, consisting of Watson, Yarborough, Norris, and Bevel. Sierra Trogdon, though only a freshman, took first in the 100 Backstroke with a 1:11.36, followed by Olivia Wham with a 1:11.56, and Haley Bell placed eighth. In the 100 Breaststroke, Thomas and Watson went 1-2, both having massive time cuts. To finish up the meet, the Mountain Home Lady Bombers, Trogdon, Wham, Traver, and Bevel, felt the sweet victory of winning the 400 Free Relay and cutting a couple of seconds from their seed time.

Bombers Accept Conference Champs Title

“I love being a part of the swim team, a lot of my friends are in it too which makes it really fun,” Asa Norwick, a Sophomore, said when asked his favorite part of being on the team.

Junior Noah Daugherty Competes in Backstroke

Going back to the boys’ team, they saw many improvements and time cuts over the course of the meet. Brandon Weaver, Hudson Pace, Noah Daugherty, and Micah Cruise set off with a strong lead, winning the 200 Medley Relay by three seconds. Aidan Wilson took second in the 200 Freestyle, shaving off five seconds, followed by Walker Daniels in seventh and Brandon Pollack in the eighth. Dropping five and a seconds, Husdon Pace cruised into first in the 200 IM, and a whole 32 seconds faster than runner up. Asa Norwick and Hall finished third and fourth in the individual medley, both cutting times as well. Cruise and Weaver also took third and fourth in the 50 Freestyle, finishing less than a second from each other. In the 100 Butterfly, Daughtry flew into first with a clean 57.66, and Freshman William Burns took fourth. Wilson and Daniels went third and fourth, Wilson cutting two seconds from his seed time to make a 56.84 in the 100 Freestyle. In the 500 Freestyle, Cruise cut almost fifteen seconds, coming in second. Pace, Pollack, Weaver, and Wilson came to a close second in the 200 Freestyle Relay, falling two seconds behind Jonesboro. Daugherty shaved off two seconds in his 100 Backstroke, also taking first place. In the 100 Breakstroke, Senior Hudson Pace broke his own team record with a 1:04.05, and also finishing first. Norwick came in third cutting four seconds from his original time, and Hall cut two seconds with a fifth place. Finishing off the wins, Daniels, Wilson, Cruise, and Daugherty placed first in the 400 Relay, securing their place as Conference Champions.

Lady Bomber Relay Team Wins Relay Event

With the countless wins, swimmers ending up on the podium, and the sweet feeling of the announcers naming both the Mountain Home Bombers and Mountain Home Lady Bombers as Conference Champions, the swim team finally earned their well-worked bling. There’s nothing better than coming home with a plaque expressing all the hard work and dedication you put into something, and this is exactly what they did.