Fight for your right to repair

Logan

MHHS Senior Zachary Keville preparing to take out and replace an iPhone battery

Logan Quisdorf, News, Upcoming Events, and Photography Editor

Companies all across the United States and other countries spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to repair a device that a user brings into their repair store. Apple is the main cause of this whole situation with them refusing to sell their repair parts for their products to the public. Louis Rossman, owner of Rossman repair group recently reported to multiple legislators that with Apple’s restriction to sell their repair parts to the public makes his company charge more for their repairs when they shouldn’t have too.

“If these bills pass, consumers will be able to quickly and affordably repair their devices and equipment. With the proper parts and schematics, the consumer can also modify their device to meet their needs” said Bradford Young, a computer science teacher at MHHS.

There is a certain chip within an iPhone that they cannot get access to without buying and tearing apart a $129 rechargeable iPhone case and throwing the battery out, which is E-waste and could harm the environment drastically. The struggle of tearing apart a $129 rechargeable case to retrieve a chip that does not cost more than $5 to make and sell. If the right to repair law passes then repair companies like our own repair company at Mountain Home High School, B.I.T.S (Bomber Information and Technology Services) would not have to charge students more money than they should because the parts for iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, and other Apple products can range from $50 all the way to $700. If you would like to fight for your right to repair, go to https://repair.org/stand-up and submit your info and stand up for your right to repair.