The Czanstkowski family battles cancer once more

Mr.+Ron+Czanstkowski+in+the+hospital+before+his+neck+surgery.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Ron Czanstkowski in the hospital before his neck surgery.

Rebekah Winslow, Features/Arts and Entertainment Editor

Mr. Ron Czanstkowski, Mountain Home’s Director of Student Services and former junior high principal, has recently discovered that he had developed tall cell variant papillary thyroid cancer. In short, the lymph nodes in his neck and the top of his chest are cancerous. To combat it, he underwent a bilateral radical neck dissection at UAMS (University of Arkansas Medical School) in Little Rock on the 25th of October in order to remove all the cancerous tissues. Following a month he will return to UAMS to receive an RAI (radioactive iodine) treatment. The treatment involves taking a radioactive iodine pill before going into a home-based quarantine for 7 – 10 days. The quarantine itself is a total quarantine from all living things, even plants. Additionally, he may also be a candidate for external radiation depending on the final pathology report.

Except for a year-long lump in his neck, Mr. Czanstkowski had no other concerning symptoms until more lumps emerged, which was when he decided to have it checked out. The former principal knew others who had developed cancerous lumps after all. Yet still having no other symptoms, Czanstkowski does profess himself somewhat bewildered by the whole situation. His wife, however, is taking it in stride, being both an RN and a conqueror of breast cancer herself. 

“None of us can take anything related to our health for granted. There have been a lot of amazing people who’ve had to overcome this terrible disease in our school and our community. They all inspire me to keep a very positive attitude toward the fight ahead and to look forward for a successful outcome.” Said Mr. Czanstkowski on the subject.