MHHS students honor veterans during the “Freedom is not Free” program.

MHHS+NJROTC+cadets+present+flags+during+%22Freedom+is+not+Free%22+program.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

MHHS NJROTC cadets present flags during

MHHS NJROTC cadets present flags during "Freedom is not Free" program.

Scott Liles

Scott Liles

Scott Liles

Jaden Bright, Reporter/Photographer

Mountain Home High School held a very touching assembly on November 7, 2019 for our veterans. All students and staff filed into the new gym while the Bomber Band played a few patriotic tunes. After everyone was in their seats Coach Zorman the Mountain Home High School’s NJROTC instructor, began to thank everyone for coming and gave a little history about veterans and what Veterans Day actually means. He also went on to explain where the holiday came from, shortly after students Nathaniel Horn, Ben Fulkerson, Gilbert Jessi (Prisoner of War Missing in Action Flag) , Angel Pendergrass (Air Force Flag), Levi Pennington (Navy Flag) Trey Mcfarland (Marine Flag) Claire Williams and Gabrielle Moreno( American Flag)  marched into the gym with their flags. Coach Zorman played each branch’s song, the students then put the flags in the flag holders and left the gym. A few students shared a little speaking part they had then took their seats again. The Quilts of Valor presented two gentlemen with special quilts, explaining what each layer of the quilt meant and what all the patterns and stitching represents. The two sat down with their nicely made quilts after a huge round of applause from everyone in the bleachers and on the gym floor. Gabrielle Moreno sat down to talk a little bit more about the POW MIA flag and the table, ‘The POW MIA script was describing what the table represents, and what each individual piece on the table meant.’
Images courtesy of SCOTT LILES/THE BAXTER BULLETIN

An image from the 2019 Freed is Not Free veterans program held Thursday, Nov. 7 at the Mountain Home High School gymnasium.

SCOTT LILES/THE BAXTER BULLETIN