NJROTC hits the road!

NJROTC+students+make+a+stop+at+the+WW2+museum+in+New+Orleans%2C+Louisiana.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

NJROTC hits the road!

NJROTC students make a stop at the WW2 museum in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Jaden Bright

Jaden Bright

Jaden Bright

Jaden Bright, Reporter/Photographer

On Wednesday, October 23rd, NJROTC took 60 cadets to Alabama and New Orleans. They visited the U.S.S. Alabama, The Drum, and World War 2 Museum. Cadets set their alarms early to arrive at school by 6 a.m. to start the long haul. They stopped for a quick breakfast then got back on the road for the 13 hour trip to Mobile, Alabama. After checking in to the Holiday Inn and dinner at Cracker Barrel, they went back to the hotel rooms to enjoy some downtime and prepare themselves for the busy day they had ahead of them. Day 1 included a tour of U.S.S Alabama and The Drum. Cadets marched in a platoon to the front of the building and then they were free to go explore in groups that they chose until 4 p.m when the went to dinner. After filling up on pizza and drinks and playing a few of the games, they relaxed and swam at the pool or worked out until it was time to go to bed. Day 2 started bright and early at 5 a.m., they packed all their things on the bus and headed for breakfast. After breakfast, they traveled to New Orleans to visit the World War 2 museum. The next day, the cadets returned to Mountain Home with a new respect for the service members who came before them.

This trip served as a reminder of what if means to serve your country and honor our men and women in uniform.  This sentiment will be on full display on Thursday, November 7th as our NJROTC unit hosts the Veteran’s Day program.  This annual event honors our area Veteran’s and is attended by all students in the 9th-12th grades.